I had a few questions about the clock I showed in last week's 10 Things post and wanted to share with everyone how it came to be.
This clock hung in our old house about 7-8 years ago. When we moved from there we didn't have space for it really...it was a pretty big clock. And the style wasn't really my thing any longer.
So I removed the frame from the clock and was left with this piece.
Then I took it even further apart.
Marked the edges where the numbers should be.
And then painted it with acrylic paint (because this is what I had on hand). The paint ended up being a little bit streaky though so I followed it up with a coat of spray paint. I recommend just doing that to begin with as it was tons easier.
And then from this point forward, I forgot to take pictures. Too excited about the possibility I guess to think about it. But the rest is just as easy.
I had a friend of ours cut out the numbers from black cardstock using her Cricut (sadly I don't have any die-cutting machines). I laid the numbers out on the clock and basically just eye-balled it where the numbers should be along with some help from the marks I had made on the side of the clock. Then I ran the numbers through a Xyron machine one at a time to permanently adhere them to the surface.
To finish it up, I ran a thick rope around the edges. I actually think the rope needs to be a bit larger so I'm planning on adding a second layer or larger rope. Then put back in the hands and battery and ta-da...all done.
I love both modern and vintage and I love how this brings a few things together in our living room. Not to mention how easy it is for telling time. AND I got to repurpose something at the same time. Totally my kind of project.